Dan's Dream Dan's Dream

Not bad at all.

I like that you went with a hand painted background initially. Made it look a lot more authentic. The sound was also probably the best part.

Regarding criticism, the characters were drawn really well, I assume from tracing. Not a bad thing considering the kinds of shows they are and what you were going for. But you should try to improve on body language and facial animations next time. Dan's mouth looked like it was trying to keep up with his voice most of the time. Kind of slow. The body language could have used more anticipation at times. Hold Dan's foot back a few frames to help the audience feel when he kicks the bed post. Try to lean his body around more when he turns his head and the like. See how far you can push those poses. It's a cartoon, and they always have to take it to the extreme. And study poses and timing in real life too. Helps you animate a sequence better.

That's about it. I'm sure most, if not all of this is something you already know considering your author comments. But the bottom line is you did a really good job and I hope you improve.

Inanimate Inanimate

If this is your first attempt at FBF

It's not half bad. It's better than my first attempts at FBF, which were promptly deleted upon finishing. You made a smart move by choosing a character with a simple sphere head was a good idea. Simplicity is your best friend in FBF. Sadly I don't have any examples in my profile so I'll prolly sound like a hypocrite douche face by giving feedback.

One thing I noticed was a lot of your animation was very evenly spaced. Try cushioning the start or end of sequences, but with the same amount of frames. So an action will start slower or finish slower, but the timing will be exactly the same. Making animation spacing charts before you animate helps too. The better your planning, the more efficient you'll animate.

Another thing, and this is kind of a tricky one, but you should so try it because it's really rewarding, animate an action at different starting points. Pose to pose works really well for efficiency, but say when he's lowering his arms and doing that double take at the end, instead of animating it all at once, start animating his arms one or two frames before his head. It can make an action look much more organic. It requires more time and thinking though.

Other than that, your best friends are going to be practice, observation, and experimentation.

Don't get me wrong though. It was really well done. I loved the voice. The writing was well delivered. The expressions were ALL top notch. And the animation was really nice for an early grasp of FBF. Keep up the good work dude!

RicePirate responds:

A lot of the stuff you mentioned are things i wanna get good at.